Just livingRuth ValerioHodder & Stoughton ‘How you spend controls...
“You is kind, you is smart, you is important” are the famous words recited by maid and nanny Aibileen to Mae in the 2011 film The Help. These simple words taught the toddler about her value and affirmed her worth; positively shaping her view of the world and herself.
In Proverbs 1:8-9, scripture says: “Hear, my son, your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching; Indeed, they are a graceful wreath to your head and ornaments about your neck”. This scripture illustrates that advice from fathers and teachings from mothers are like adornments to our outward appearance; being beautiful and meaningful accessories that we carry around with us. With mother’s day approaching, we wanted to find out what memorable pieces of advice our staff here at Premier have received from their mother figures:
1. “Imitation is the best form of flattery; see it as a compliment that people are copying you”
2. “Never end the day without telling each other (family members) ‘I love you’”
3. “Establish little memorable traditions with your family”
4. “Your best is the best you’re going to give in life- keep going”
5. “Don’t let the sun go down on your anger”
6. “Don’t let anybody fool you into thinking that you don’t know yourself”
7. “Don’t be afraid to be different and don’t be afraid to say no”
8. “Walk tall, walk straight and look the world straight in the eye”
9. “You’ve got two ears and one mouth for a reason”
10. “Trust God in all you do. He comes first in everything”
11. “It doesn't matter how you feel inside, you know. It's what shows up on the outside that counts. Take all your bad feelings and push them down, all the way down past your knees, until you're almost walking on them…” – Marge Simpson
What advice do you carry around from your childhood and how has it helped you? Let us know in the comment section!