Deputy Head Of News
To enable people to put their faith at the heart of daily life and to bring Christ to their communities.
LOCATION: London (SW1) / remote working will be considered
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours pw
REPORTING TO: Head of News
CLOSING DATE: 24th July 2020
PURPOSE OF ROLE
To help Premier, the UK’s leading Christian media organisation, to continue to provide its unique brand of news through radio, magazines and online.
We cover around 3,000 stories a year so need a team who are willing to graft to find the issues which matter to our audience and then work creatively to tell them through our various platforms.
We have a goal of doubling our digital reach over the coming years so need a team ready to take us on that journey.
• To work with and deputise for, the head of news to hit key performance indicators and ensure quality and quantity of news output across Premier’s 3 radio stations, 3 magazines, news website and other digital platforms
• Chair daily editorial meetings in the absence of head of news
• Follow through agreed news agenda for the day and make decisions with the head of news on new leads for use on-air and across other platforms.
• Assign stories and tasks to journalists where required
• Conduct interviews and reporting duties
• Compile and voice on-air bulletins according to agreed shift patterns
• Write and edit long form copy for use online and magazine publications where required
• Contribute stories to the forward planning diary
• Assist in the planning and production of all news/current affairs strands across platforms including packages, special reports and on-air radio programmes where required
• Adhere to and give guidance to team on all media law and Ofcom guidelines
• Use analytics to monitor audience engagement online and continue driving increased traffic
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• At least 2 years’ newsroom experience across radio and/or web or print
• Journalism qualification preferable
• Proven strong news judgement
• A good broadcast voice
• Experience creating stories for digital platforms
• Good editorial skills in copy, headline writing and delivery
• Demonstrate determination, diplomacy and excellent interpersonal skills
ABILITIES & SKILLS
• Ability to work independently but also as part of a team
• Be self-motivated and flexible
• Able to work effectively under pressure, react quickly, and meet tight deadlines
• A good level of IT skills including audio, video or copy editing.
• Meet the established production standards and contribute to the establishment of future internal guidelines
• A proven interest and understanding of matters of the Christian church and faith
• Knowledge and understanding of web analytics.
Due to the number of applications we receive, we cannot reply to unsuccessful candidates, therefore, if you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date please accept that, on this occasion, your application has been unsuccessful.
Premier reserves the right to conduct interviews before the closing date for application.
To apply please fill in the form below: